Saturday, June 21, 2008

Life in the Second City.



I could have cried from sheer exhaustion and joy when I saw my first "Chicago: 182 miles" sign somewhere in (flooded) central Wisconsin. I had just picked up a block of cheese shaped into that Great State to the North and a Rooster lamp for my dad for Father's Day, both of which were riding shotgun with me.



Now, I had started my trip in the spirit of my new resolution to eat a balanced, healthy, sustainable diet that won't end with Cardiac Arrest at 35 from too many Hot Pockets, cigars, and Ben and Jerry's. So I began with a bag of walnuts, cheese, gatorade, wheat crackers and dried fruit. 2 days into the drive, this had been replaced with Pull & Peel twizzlers, Hot Tamales, gas station coffee, Diet Coke, and egg salad sandwiches. So the Rooster and the Wisconsin-shaped cheese joined my growing pile of melting candy (I didn't use the air conditioning the whole time). I can enjoy my own slightly messy, slightly unhealthy ways for a while. But after 5 days of living in my own funk, I was ready for escape. I was ready to be home.


Crossing the into the Land of Lincoln (soon to be the Land of Obama), I was immediately greetedby 4 tolls, a 20 mile stretch of road construction, marshy wetlands, and hard alochol sold in every gas station, convenience store, and Safeway (or, if you'd rather, Dominick's and Jewel). We ate Chicago stuffed pizza for dinner that night, while looking at the Greek mafia house just behind ours. Yes, it was good to be home.

Now I have a few days to unpack the car, repack for Egypt, and spend a few days in Wisconsin with the fam. I fly out June 27th, arrive shortly after midnight on June 29th. After practicing my Arabic last night with my friend in the Wrigleyville neighborhood of Chicago (after the Cubs beat the White Sox in a heated cross-town game), I know that I'm in trouble. Time to hit the Rosetta Stone...

No comments: